Tuesday 20 November 2018

Australian Armada National Championships - Day Two

I had been in 6th place on day one, made the Top 8 (I was two TP clear of 8th, so could have lost a lot worse to Ken and still made it).

The points reset to 0 on day two, so there was a level playing field. No scrubs in the top 8 (whatever a "scrub" is) so just solid and great games of Armada.


My first game was an absolute disaster - I brain my old blame.

LTD against Dan (the eventual winner of the comp).


Some photos I took of other games while I grat my teeth.

Luke (Captain Weather) vs. Kia - Luke won narrowly - he could have slow played to win by a lot, but Luke is all class.

This is the board state of that game - the Glad in the middle is Demolisher, getting eaten by Y-Wings. The other Glad will finish the MC75 off at the top of the next turn.

Ken (IroKenics) vs Mars (Marazaums). Ken was second player, and Mars chose not to fall into his trap and avoided the full on confrontation. There were attempts at last turn squadron killing, but Ken won 6/5, with 0 MOV.


Scott vs. Kia. Scott is last year's Australian Champion. Scott is flying Rieekan aces, Kia is flying double gladiator, Raider, 2 Goz, Squads. Scott won this game.



Round Two:

LTD vs Ben




Round Two Photos:
Dan vs. Scott - Dan managed to table Scott but only by saving his Demolisher in the last round with some nice Gozanti positioning, stopping the B-Wings taking down the Demo (with help from Brunson, of course!)
 Mars vs. Kia - Mars was flying the only Interdictor I saw all weekend. I think he managed a 6/5 over Kia.

Luke vs Ken - Cool. Cool cool. Cool cool cool. Ken kept the Y-Wings pinned down by sending in the A-Wings one by one. Ken won this game 8/3 I think.



Round Three:
Going into Round Three there was no way for me to win the Tournament - Dan was on 18 points, I was on 9. I had to get 10 points to match the 1 point he was guaranteed by not conceding, and if he ended up getting one point, then Ken would have beaten him by 9 and end up winning. So, there was no conceivable path to victory here - mostly due to my losing to Dan 9/2 in the first round.

LTD vs Scott





I did not take any photos of the other games during round 3 - my game went quite long.

But here is the greatest photo of all! Task Force Orange in second place.

Dan - I demand a rematch!

Thanks all for a great weekend - I had a good time - I need to work on my resilience though - the stupid errors late on the Saturday and foolishness early on the Sunday cost me dearly in the end.

I look forward to 2019 Nationals!

If anyone wants to sponsor me to Worlds in Chicago in March, I will not say no!




No comments:

Post a Comment