Sunday 24 November 2019

Australian National 2019 - Day Two - Top Eight

This is Day Two report from Australian Nationals. I made the top 8, ending in fourth position overall.
(The Day One report in the previous post in this blog).

There were two Rebel MSU lists in the top 8 - and we were paired for round 1.
Ian had the bid, and chose to go second. I looked at his objectives and chose Hyperspace Assault, since I could move the tokens and (maybe?) get a better possibility.

CR90 Corvette A (44)
• General Cracken (26)
• Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7)
• Jaina's Light (2)
= 79 Points
CR90 Corvette A (44)
• Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7)
= 51 Points
CR90 Corvette A (44)
• Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7)
= 51 Points
CR90 Corvette B (39)
• Electronic Countermeasures (7)
= 46 Points
MC30c Torpedo Frigate (63)
• Lando Calrissian (4)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Advanced Projectors (6)
• External Racks (3)
• H9 Turbolasers (8)
• Admonition (8)
= 96 Points
GR-75 Medium Transports (18)
= 18 Points
Squadrons:
• Shara Bey (17)
• Tycho Celchu (16)
• 2 x A-wing Squadron (22)
= 55 Points
Total Points: 396

This was not really a game I was looking forwards to - My list is meant to go second, or against big things that can't evade my TRCs. Against Cracken? Forget about it. My best chance would be to double ram some things to death and then try to escape.


Ian spaced out the tokens, and I deployed on the hard right, with Rieekan in the Centre, and Jaina's Light flying out to the extreme right (I'm not sure why I did this - I think I should have swapped Jaina and Rieekan in retrospect.
My VCXs moved the token closes to us, and everyone took a nav token.

(almost the) Start of round one, and Ian drops his Admonition from the central token. As my first activation I hurl a CR90 right into Admo's face, double ramming it. That CR is effectively dead, but hopefully I can trap Admo and finish him off next turn. (This photo is after my first activation).

I didn't manage to trap Admo, and he jumped into empty space. Unfortunately my CR90 that might have been able to ram him was going to fast and could not make the maneuver. The fighter battle was also not going super well. I wasn't going to get anything of his it seemed.
I activated Rieekan (the Green CR and headed for the hills). Ian got enthusiastic and rammed into Jaina's Light with one of his CRs - but ended up double arc'd, and Jaina ignores obstruction and Cracken, so I was able to JUST kill the CR with some lucky rolls and a handy CF command.


Start of turn 4, and my squads are being whittled down by Flak and A-Wings. Jaina acted first (I think?) and got as far away as possible. I tried to ram Ian's GRs to bits, but they kept escaping.

Start of round 5, and I think Ian will kill Jaina with Shara Bey or Tycho or something? Maybe not on reflection? I don't recall. I lost Jan Ors to flak. One of my CRs is coming back around to try for a "hail Caesar" on Ian's GR, but I don't quite have the range even with all my cunning.

Start of round 6 and it's all over bar the shouting. Ian has the game, and it's all over.

I do love Cracken, but only WHEN I AM CRACKEN.

Ian Scored 161 (Both my flotillas, one CR90, 3 Xwings, Jan Ors).
I scored 73 (One CR90, 2 A-Wings).
MoV - 88 for a 7/4 against.

I went into Round 2 behind the 8-Ball - particularly since James had scored a massive 10/1 (625 to 162)



Round 2: The Raddus Envelopment

Name: Felix Lie AusNats2019
Faction: Rebel
Commander: Admiral Raddus
Assault: Most Wanted
Defense: Capture the VIP
Navigation: Salvage Run
CR90 Corvette A (44)
• Admiral Raddus (26)
• Turbolaser Reroute Circuits (7)
• Jaina's Light (2)
= 79 Points
MC75 Ordnance Cruiser (100)
• Strategic Adviser (4)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• Electronic Countermeasures (7)
• External Racks (3)
• Assault Proton Torpedoes (5)
• Profundity (7)
= 130 Points
Hammerhead Torpedo Corvette (36)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• External Racks (3)
= 43 Points
MC30c Torpedo Frigate (63)
• Ordnance Experts (4)
• External Racks (3)
• H9 Turbolasers (8)
• Admonition (8)
= 86 Points
GR-75 Medium Transports (18)
• Slicer Tools (7)
• Quantum Storm (1)
= 26 Points
GR-75 Medium Transports (18)
= 18 Points
Squadrons:
= 0 Points
Total Points: 382
Felix had lost to Simon's SSD in round 1. He had finished second day one. His SIX+ activation squadless Raddus drop had a remarkable 18 point bid. He chose to go first, and selected my Most Wanted.

Most Wanted is a wonderful objective, except (perhaps) against Raddus - since the most valuable enemy ship is off the board when selecting targets. "Dur dur dur - we aren't stupid Dave" says the reading audience. "Well, stuff you then." I reply. "I shan't help you any further, you ingrates."

This is part way through turn 1. We deployed all the obstacles on one side, and then Felix split his formation with the GRs in the middle and Admo and Jaina's Light flagship on my left.
I deployed centrally (Raddus! I have some great tips for fighting him, but NO! You had to be rude up above with my Most Wanted thoughts. So tough teats!).

I took tokens and headed forwards, spreading out as I went. "Which ships are Most Wanted?" you ask? Figure it out for yourself, jackass.

Probably not a good idea for a blogger to insult his readers so much (even after I have crossed the 10,000 views record! Woo! etc.). I chose the Slicer Tool GR as MW, and my own naked GR as Most Wanted. Admo is worth more, but that would mean having to go into all those rocks. Instead I just decided to kill the GRs and make the MC75 drop near me - or for Felix to cede the game to my skill and excellence, accepting a 7/4.

Start of Round 2, and Felix is thinking about his Raddus drop. If he doesn't drop this turn I'll take out those GRs and bugger off. He does drop, but somehow I don't have photos of the drop or of turn 3. It also drops the

The MC 75 drops in between his GRs, but out of red range of all but one CR. He drops the Torpedo Hammerhead double arcing a CR. Felix activates the HH, hits the CR hard, but doesn't kill it. But almost. I'm thinking I'll activate the CR and double ram the MC75 before dying. But then I have another thought.
Quantum Storm is in range to make a valiant first activation, jump up to 3, then 1, to slicer the MC75 AND block it in place. That MC75 is going to get a lot of Squadron orders. Felix shoots some things, I shoot some things, and the MC75 rams the GR rather than shooting it. (or did he whiff the roll? I forget).

Sometime during turn 3 (not pictured) one of my CRs was forced into black range on the side of the MC75 and was obliterated - but by and large my ships stayed out of black range due to some clever navving. I lost another CR (the heavily damaged one? Or maybe it rammed in turn 2 and then the Slicer tools came in round 3? I don't remember. More photos required).

Start of turn 4.  The MC75 activates, killing the slicer but RIEEKAN. Jaina's light finishes the MC75 and we all head for the hills, me trying desperately to hunt down that MW GR which is on the far right, and avoid the chasing CR and Admo - but I have engine techs! And Felix does not!

Start of turn 5 - running! Running!

Start of turn 6 - and the MW GR is shot and rammed to bits. My GR survives thanks to the absence of an ACC and slips around the side.

Game over. It's a win, but only just - 174 to 144 (30, 6/5). This was also an interesting match - Raddus is a real pain - but my list is (I think) a mostly effective counter since I can spread out and TRC the big ship to death once it lands. He might get one of my CRs on the drop, but I can usually make up the points.

Looking back there are some things I should have done differently in turn 1 (more tokens, less ETing, better positioning) but overall I'm pleased with the outcome.

BUT! The big prize was now out of reach. A 4 and a 6, and I'm well behind the leader (James is on 18 points after round 1, and Ian on 17). Overall victory is impossible - we are now fighting for an Honourable Second Place.


No comments:

Post a Comment